Ok. It’s time to get into mechanics. There are several mechanics in Hearthstone. The main ones are: Battlecry, Deathrattle, Taunt, Stealth, Charge, Rush, Discover, Lifesteal, Spell-Damage, Silence, Divine Shield, Poisonous, and Windfurry. These are just the base mechanics. There are more, but we’ll get to those in a second. Right now, we’re going to talk about these mechanics:
- Battlecry: Battlecry is an action that happens when you play a card
- Example: You play a card that says, “Battlecry: Deal 5 damage” You deal five to any character on the field.
- Deathrattle: Deathrattle is an action that happens when you it dies.
- Example: Your minion dies and it says, “Deathrattle: Summon a 1/1 minion. The minion dies and you get a 1/1 minion.
- Taunt: Taunt is a passive ability. It stops your opponent from attacking your character and instead must attack the minion with taunt.
- Example: You have a minion with taunt on the field, and your opponent tries to attack your face, but he can’t because of your minion with taunt.
- Stealth: Stealth is another passive ability. Stealth means that the minion is hidden, but when he attacks he no longer has stealth.
- Example: You play a a minion with stealth. Your opponent tries to attack it , but can’t. You attack, and your minion no longer has stealth.
- Charge: Charge means when a minion comes on the field it can attack instantly.
- Example: You play a minion with charge, and it immediately attacks another character.
- Discover: Discover means you pick one card out of three.
- Example you play a minion that says discover a taunt minion. You play him and it gives you three minions that have taunt. You choose one, and you get that card.
- Rush: Rush is just like charge, except rush minions can only attack minions.
- Example: You play a minion with rush, and it immediately attacks another minion.
- Lifesteal: Lifesteal means that whenever you deal damage, heal that much to your hero.
- Example: A minion with two attack has lifesteal. It attacks and restores two health to your the hero.
- Spell-Damage: Spell-Damage adds the amount of damage to a spell.
- Example: You have a minion that says, “Spell-Damage +2” You cast a spell that says, “Deal 6 damage” But since you have spell-damage, it now does 8 damage.
- Silence: Silence means whatever mechanic a minion has, you get rid of it.
- Example: You have a minion that has Taunt. Your opponent plays a minion that says, “Battlecry: Silence a minion.” He silences your minion, and now he doesn’t have taunt.
- Divine Shield: Divine Shield is a passive ability. The first amount of damage the minion takes is ignored.
- Example: You have a 1/1 minion with divine shield, and your opponent has a 1/1. He attacks your minion and it loses divine shield, and you kill that minion.
- Poisonous: Poisonous is a passive ability. Any minion that is damaged by a character with poisonous immediately dies.
- Example: Your 1/1 minion with poisonous attacks a 2/2 minion. The 1/1 dies and kills the 2/2.
- Windfurry: Windfurry is a passive ability. It means a the card can attack twice.
- Example: You have a minion with windfurry. He attacks the hero once, and attack a minion the second time.
Now, I’m going to have separate posts for each of these mechanics, but I wanted to give you guys just a brief overview of them. Just remember that these are only the base mechanics. There are lots more, and they all are very interesting. We’ll go over them all and more later. Until next time.